Richard Ansdell R.A (1815 -1885)
Richard Ansdell R.A. (1815 - 1885)
Richard Ansdell's connection with Lytham went back at least to 1849, when he was commissioned by the Squire, Thomas Clifton. Ansdell was born in Liverpool but moved to London in 1847. He missed and loved Lytham so much that he called his London house "Lytham House".
In 1860 Ansdell leased a plot from the Clifton Estate and built a house of his own "Starr Hills", in an area so empty that it was known simply as "Ansdells". He sold the house in 1873, but the district still bears his name.
For further details on Fylde Borough Councils Art collection please see:
To find out more about Richard Ansdell then please visit: