St Annes Pier
St Annes Land and Building Company decided to set about building a new pier and work was started in 1879. On 15th June 1885, the Honourable Fred Stanley performed the opening ceremony.
The Pier was a narrow, modest structure, uncovered without any imposing entrance and boasting only a single shelter at the far end.
In those days it was widely used for embarking pleasure cruises, for the North Channel provided a negotiable stretch of water for vessels of comparatively large tonnage. Even at low tide Blackpool Steamers and privately owned yachts were moored within reach of the pier.
By 1904 the Pier had been widened and extended and on the 2nd April of that year the management announced that the new Concert Pavilion, Bank Kiosk and Pier Head would be open to the public and residents.
In June 1910, the Floral Hall, a magnificent structure of glass was officially opened. St Annes Pier was famous for the Lionel Johns’ Pier Orchestra which mostly comprised of lady musicians who played every morning and evening throughout the season in the Floral Hall.
The Concert Pavilion situated on the other side became neglected and in April 1975, Yehudi Menuhin and his Chamber Orchestra were invited to play on the Pier and the Pavilion was refurbished and renovated for this occasion. Her Royal Highness Princess Anne came and the Pavilion, never looking better, was fully attended. Within a few weeks of this happening there was a fire and the theatre was completely destroyed and the end of the Pier was lost, which was a great loss to the town.
The Pier is still owned by St Annes Land and Building Company, the largest part of the pier being used as an amusement arcade along with a small shop and cafe.